The Reality of Alzheimer's Disease
We all know that life is filled with joys and sorrows. The joys of graduations, weddings, new homes, babies, new jobs, grandchildren, and retirement. The sorrows of divorce, infertility, chronic illness, job loss, terminal diagnoses, and death.
The good thing about life is that we all get to experience both. The bad thing about life is that we all get to experience both.
Almost a year ago, my family and I experienced both: the death of my mother after a 7 year battle with Alzheimer's dementia and the joy of her being home and no longer "trapped" in time and space as she took her last breath. The emotions were overwhelming: from shock, denial, anger, anxiety and fear to grief, sorrow, calmness,and peace.
Did you know.....
- no one survives Alzheimer's Disease?
- there are no treatments to cure, delay, or stop progression of the disease?
- someone is diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease every 3 seconds? That's 20 people/minute; 1200 per hour; 201,600 per week; 10.5 million people/year.
- Alzheimer's is not just an "old" person's disease?
- Alzheimer's disease is the leading most expensive killer of Americans?
- folks diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease will eventually require long term care, the majority of which Medicare DOES NOT COVER?
There will be numerous challenges during this ride from both a group perspective as well as an individual perspective:
- July in South Carolina isn't exactly the coolest, least humid time of year.
- The route isn't all flat and the route isn't all hills.
- Unannounced pop up summer showers are known to occur.
- 252 miles on a bicycle will take anywhere from 12-25 hours per rider to complete
Thank you in advance for supporting me on this memorable journey across the state of South Carolina and in the fight against Alzheimer’s. There is a tribute area on the donation page. Please let me know if you would like for me to memorialize and/or honor someone you know and love while I ride that has been affected by Alzheimer's and/or dementia of any kind. Also, please feel free to share this email and link in any way. All donations are tax deductible.
Help me be the brains behind saving yours!
Together let’s end Alzheimer’s....Pam